I recently read an appalling article about tipping, and I feel like I need to get up on my soapbox and PREACH.
This is a concept I feel particularly strongly about, since the serving is part of my industry. Although I have a biased opinion since I obviously think tipping is a very important practice, this article makes absolutely zero valid points. I intend to dissect them one by one.
1. “Acting like you’re my best friend” is one type of serving style that not all servers adopt, but it honestly offends me that he has the gall to suggest that all servers are only being nice to him for his money. As a server, I have made it my mission to create an experience for you, as depicted by the particular restaurant’s mission statement. It is my job to treat everyone in accordance with that. I am not just “doing it for your money”. I can’t speak for all servers, but then, neither can he.
2. “You don’t get paid enough”. Serving is unique in that it is one of the few jobs where their pay is directly affected by their performance. Yes, our pay is significantly lower than minimum wage, and employers should compensate for the difference between it and the set minimum wage. It is an unspoken agreement as a restaurant customer that you will make up the difference, provided that service is up to par.
3. “You’ll spit in my food if I don’t tip you?” Anyone who has ever said this does not deserve to be a server. It is grossly unfair to make this assumption about all servers. No one is blackmailing anyone.
4. “Bringing me my food isn’t worthy of being paid extra” That might be true, but waiting on his every need and whim IS (in my opinion). That is part of the deal, and what you’re paying for in your tip. You are paying for personalized attention and for us to solve your food related problems. Your drink doesn’t refill yourself, trust me, I wish it did.
5. “Money doesn’t grow on trees” If you don’t have enough money to tip your server, don’t go out to eat! It’s really that simple.
Again, this is just my opinion as a future Hospitality professional. In summary, don’t be an asshole. It’s not really that much more money. And if it is, don’t go out to eat. Make your own damn food.
Original Article: http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2009/philosophy/5-reasons-why-i-wont-tip-you-if-youre-a-waiter.html/